How to root Zenfone 2 in 2 ways and Install Custom Recovery (CWM)
- Download Pre-rooted image from here. Check the model number of your Asus Zenfone 2 and download the pre-rooted image for your model number. To check model number go to Settings > About Phone > Model name.
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot Tools
How to install Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools
- From the downloaded folder open 2_setup.exe and start the installation process by following on-screen instructions.
- Once you have installed it go to C:Program Files (x86)Minimal ADB and Fastboot (for 64 bit systems) or C:Program FilesMinimal ADB and Fastboot (for 32 bit systems) and open py_cmd.exe by right clicking on it and selecting Run as Administrator.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools will be installed on your system.
How to root Asus Zenfone 2
You are now ready to root Asus Zenfone 2. Simply follow the step by step guide shared below to root Asus Zenfone 2.
- Extract the downloaded pre-rooted image for your Asus Zenfone 2 and place it on your desktop.
- Connect your Asus Zenfone 2 with your computer using a USB cable.
- Now open command window on your PC. To open command window press Shift Key + Right mouse click and select open command window here This will open command window on your computer.
- Once command window is opened enter the command shared below which will put your device in bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Rename the image which you extracted before in Step 1 to img
- Now you have to flash the image on your Asus Zenfone 2. To do this you have to enter the command shared below in the command window.
fastboot flash system system.img
- It will take a couple of minutes to flash the image. Once it is flashed enter the command shared below which will reboot your device.
Your Asus Zenfone 2 smartphone will reboot. Enjoy!
How Install Custom Recovery (CWM) temporarily
- Download all the files containing temporary CWM package and extract the fastboot.rar to desktop.
- Turn on USB Debugging and then connect your phone to the PC.
USB Debugging can be accessed by going to Settings> About> Software Information> Tap Build number 7 times. Then go 2 steps back and choose Developer options> USB Debugging.
- Copy SuperSU246.zip to the SD card.
- Run cai_dat_CWM.bat. In the command window, type ACCEPT (in capitals) and hit Enter.
- Type T4 and hit enter again. Your phone should restart infastboot mode, take the commands and then load the temporary CWM. It will take about a minute for this to complete.
- When the phone boots CWM Recovery, you can disconnect the device from the PC. Then select Install Zip by using Volume Keys to highlight and Power Key to select.
- Select choose zip from external sdcard and then select the SuperSU246.zip file copied to the SD card in step 4. Select Yes – Install SuperSuxxx.zip to start flashing.
- When done, reboot your phone and that’s it.
- Verify the root by installing any root checker app from the Play Store.
Note: This work tested in Zenfone 2 with version ZE550ML & ZE551ML